Process Of Changing Your Name In The UK

With UK Deed Poll sites all over the internet it seems very easy to change your name, but do you really need to take a poll to change your name? The short answer is no. The Deed Poll is just one of the many ways you can change your name in the UK.

You need a statutory declaration for verifying your name. You don’t need to do anything just search ”statutory declaration solicitor near me” in the search engine. The solicitor will help you to verify your document.

statutory declaration solicitor near me

Image source google

Common English law states that you are known by your birth name unless you choose to be known by a different name. The most common way of being known by another name is by getting married. The bride can then use the marriage certificate as proof of her new name. This is widely accepted by all companies and they will update all records on your behalf. 

Unfortunately, men do not have the right to change their name after marriage, but people who have signed a civil partnership can change their name after showing the deed, either male or female.

Basically, the requirement to change your name in the United Kingdom is to state your intention to be known publicly under your new name and that you do not want your new name to mislead or deceive anyone. The most popular online survey services will literally take your testimony under oath, ask you to send documents so they can prove your identity, then have a lawyer witness and confirm your intentions.